The Monticello Female Seminary in Godfrey, Illinois, was an innovative institution for women’s education in the 19th and 20th centuries. Established by Captain Benjamin Godfrey in 1838, the seminary was named after Thomas Jefferson’s estate in Virginia, highlighting a commitment to education and enlightenment.
This institution was a trailblazer, providing a challenging academic environment to young women during a time when such opportunities were mostly available to men. Its curriculum was designed to mirror that of male seminaries, with subjects including natural sciences, classical languages, mathematics, literature, and fine arts. This departure from the traditional focus on domestic skills in women’s education aimed to empower women with a breadth of knowledge and abilities.
Throughout its history, Monticello Female Seminary stood as a steadfast advocate for women’s right to education, nurturing generations of educated women who went on to make significant contributions in various fields, such as education, business, social work, and the arts. Over the years, the seminary underwent several transformations, evolving into Monticello College and eventually merging with Lewis and Clark Community College. Nonetheless, the spirit of the Monticello Female Seminary as a champion of women’s education continues to be honored.
No Records Found
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.